sábado, octubre 27, 2007

Healthy bodies/ fucked up minds


Well as for school I just started my clinical rotation in the area of psychiatry. I will go to the Jewish Hospital for the next 7 weeks (thursdays and fridays from 7:30-3:30). My two first days were somewhat chaotic and bizarre. When you enter those premises you feel that something unusual is in the air, the vibe is rather "funny". It is not even weird, it is just uncomfortable. I used to think psych was my nursing cup of tea but now I am not so sure. One of my patients is Schizophrenic and the other one has major depression. The first one is the most interesting to me because I never knew anyone with this disease. Her delusion is about a priest, she has auditory hallucinations so she hears the voice of this priest telling her to buy stuff or not to urinate, she also feels that the priest controls her vagina using a device operated with a remote. The depressed one is teaching me a very good life lesson. I do not ever want to acknowledge being depressed in my whole life. In that patient I see a healthy human body with a fucked up mind. We come to life only once (maybe)so it is sad to end up in a mental institution. I just thought if I ever feel depressed I will do everything at my reach to figth it without medications and stay far far away from the mental institutions. The mind cannot be cured yet, symtoms are treated and that is it. I think it is pathetic to have a mental illness, it is so complex, ununderstood, and stigmatized.

1 comentario:

Anónimo dijo...

EN EFECTO LA ENFERMEDAD MENTAL ES UN ASCO, YO QUE HE ESTADO EN CONTACTO ESTECHO CON ESTOS PACIENTES SE QUE ES UN INFIERNO, DONDE DEBERIA SER UNA GLORIA, EL ESQUIZOFRENICO TIENE AL PARECER DELIRIOS DE CONTROL, ESOS LES DAN EN CUALQUIER PARTE DE SU CUERPO, QUE SON IMPEDIDOS O MANEJADOS DE SUS FUNCIONES, Y EL DEPRESIVO PYES QUE CASO, SON MUYB COMPLICADOS Y PASIVOS, NECESIRA UNO SER MUY DIRECTIVO, PERO ESO SIN VOLUNTAD ESTA EN CHINESSE.
ES CIERTO QUE VIVIMOS SOLO UNA VEZ, Y TAMBIEN QUE UNO APRENDE A NO STAR CON CHINGADERAS, DIGO, SI ESTAMOS BIEN SUPUESTAMENTE, PATA QUE TORTURARSE...???
CIRANA XIRA MELISSA